Director, Business Development
The Director of Business Development will play a key role in leading and executing a range of business development initiatives and of strategic impact on Apexigen’s strategy and portfolio. He/She will Work with executive management team in development of corporate strategy to drive long/short-term strategies to advance Apexigen’s positioning in the marketplace. He/She will successfully drive development of in/out licensing activities, coordinating due diligence, product/market financial modeling, preparing in-and out-licensing packages, contract review/negotiation, etc. He/She will work closely with cross functional teams to manage existing collaborations and provide market assessment and competitive intelligence to screen for new business growth and to market business opportunities to potential partners. This is a hands-on role in a very dynamic organization. The position will report directly to SVP of Business Development.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the company's overall corporate strategy with a focus on market analysis, competitive strategy, licensing and partnerships, including due diligence processes to support corporate growth and diversification of company’s therapeutic pipeline
- Identify and assess new strategic business opportunities with potential corporate partners (multinational, regional biotechnology companies)
- Conduct analyses on BD&L opportunities and assess evolving markets, competitive landscapes and break-through technologies to inform and support strategic decisions
- Campaign for the company brand as a “Partner of Choice” for development partnership, including brand promotion at conferences, client meetings, and building business relationships at industry events
- Lead by example working cross-functionally with internal stakeholders, including research, clinic, regulatory, and legal/intellectual property, to develop business development proposals and financial models
- Lead asset evaluations across a wide-spectrum of program development stages to understand and communicate portfolio fit and commercial potential
- Negotiate and finalize licensing and other transactions.
- Lead or support the deal team's development, review and negotiation of term sheets and contracts, working with relevant stakeholders to develop proposals, solicit and incorporate feedback, and to track and develop solutions to deal issues
- Generate and deliver impactful presentations to senior management and key decision-makers
- Understand scientific concepts in order to analyze unrelated and sometimes incomplete data and make significant judgments about external and internal business issues and concepts.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- MS/MBA strongly desired or PhD in a life science preferred
- 8+ years of experience with biotech/pharmaceutical company in business development with a track record of executing BD deals or experience working for a consulting firm or investment bank focused on the pharmaceutical/biotech markets. Experience with oncology drugs is ideal.
- Proven track record to negotiate and close license agreements
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Be able to effectively present, discuss and summarize business cases to rapidly make decisions for execution
- Demonstrated business skills to independently perform asset valuation and risk analysis
- Sound judgment and leadership to identify the key elements in potential partnerships, guide supporting members and navigate through complex deal negotiation
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, project management and organizational skills with the ability to make sound business judgments
- Strong collaboration and communication skills as demonstrated by ability to work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders
- Ability to build credibility and relationships across all functions and levels of the organization
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity, strong executive presence and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Positive attitude, attention to detail and polished presentation skills essential
- Flexibility to travel as needed
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Email resumes to email@example.com. Please reference Job ID: Director, Business Development
Apexigen is an equal opportunity employer