VP, Discovery Research and Preclinical Development
Apexigen is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company discovering and developing the next generation of antibody therapeutics for the treatment of cancer with an emphasis on discovering and developing innovative drugs that enhance tumor-specific immunity. The use of its APXiMAB™ platform enables Apexigen to discover antibodies with unique attributes against known and novel immune system targets. These antibodies have demonstrated the potential to become the next generation of cancer therapies as we progress toward the ultimate cure for cancer.
This position will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer, and will be responsible for establishing the company’s research strategy and capability, and building a product portfolio of oncology therapeutic antibodies. This role will lead projects and be responsible for developing and executing the strategy and progressing therapeutic candidates from early discovery to IND filing. In addition, this position will be responsible for identifying and evaluating new technology and product opportunity.
- In collaboration with the executive management team and the Board, provide scientific leadership in defining the company’s product pipeline and in developing and executing corporate strategies and plans
- Develop and manage the research and preclinical development organization to establish a pipeline of drug candidates.
- Develop and approve plans that are executed on time, meeting identified objectives and within budget
- Assess external technologies and integrate new technologies into the company’s platform through strategic alliances
- Manage existing collaborations, including strategic partnerships
- Provide day-to-day management of the research organization by hiring, training, coaching, developing, and appraising research staff. Manage personnel issues, ensure timely performance appraisals, handle employee relations issues, and other staff development initiatives. Participate in leadership team meetings and in strategic planning, including setting objectives and strategies as well as take accountability for implementation and results
- Support and demonstrate a positive, collaborative approach in working with internal and external colleagues
- Identify and introduce new technologies, novel targets and product opportunities to the company to improve rese productivity
- PhD in Immunology, cancer biology or related field and 8-12 years’ experience in biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry.
- Broad experience in therapeutic antibody R&D is required
- Excellent track record in productivity of building pipeline of high-quality drug candidates
- Experience in product development through participation in project teams that have brought products to the clinic.
- Depth of understanding of cancer biology and immunology as evidenced by publications and presentations in the field
- Proven track record in developing and managing R&D strategic and operating plans, budgets as well as recruiting and managing a team in a biotech research environment
- Exceptional management and interpersonal skills
- A history of developing a culture of teamwork, collaboration and communication.
- Excellent written and verbal skills and the ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively.
- To support clinical development particularly in PK, PD and ADA assay development and analysis.He/she can also contribute to the protocol design in terms of PK and PD sampling time/schedule and PD marker selection
- To build and lead an outstanding discovery and preclinical team and capability
- To drive pipeline programs to IND
- To provide vision, leadership and strategy for the future direction of company’s technology platform and product pipeline (different disease areas and different platform and modalities) and participate in fund raising and presenting company to the scientific and investment community
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Email resumes to email@example.com. Please reference Job ID: VP, Discovery Research and Preclinical Development
Apexigen is an equal opportunity employer